Monday 19 December 2011

The Verse - Isaiah 9:6-7

For unto us a Child is born, 
Unto us a Son is given; 
And the government will be upon His shoulder. 
And His name will be called 
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, 
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
(verse 6)

On Sunday evening Luke and I went to our church's carol service. Luke and I love singing carols. I think Luke especially enjoys it because he didn't really grow up with them (long story, and probably his to tell). There is so much great theology in carols - more than a lot of modern Christian songs have. And when I reflect on how this baby grew up and died for my sins, I have to confess that I often get tears in my eyes. Anyway, our pastor Nick read these verses on Sunday. There are so many prophecies about Jesus in the Old Testament, but I thought this one was especially good for Christmas. However, like a lot of prophecies, this one refers to both Christ's first and second coming.

"A Child" refers to Jesus being born of the virgin Mary - while "A Son" refers to Jesus being God's Son as well as a Son of David. Although God humbled Himself by becoming a man and sacrificed Himself by dying on the cross for our sins, He will also one day reign - "And the government will be upon His shoulder."


I really love the next few verses, especially when I think about them in relation to the last lines of the carol "Silent Night" - Jesus Lord at thy birth. Even as a baby in a manger, Jesus was Lord. He was the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace - He still is and will be forever.

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light,
Radiant beams from thy holy face,
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus Lord at thy birth,
Jesus Lord at thy birth.

God being born as a man, dying for us and being resurrected to give us eternal life - this was the greatest sign of love the world has ever known, or ever will know!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment