Sunday 26 February 2012

The Holiday - Art Deco Day 2

Time for the second entry of our Art Deco Weekend in Napier. Saturday was full of sunshine, wine and lots of dancing, as you'll be able to see from our photos. We had a fairly leisurely start to the morning and made our way to Craggy Range winery for a bit of midday wine tasting. Here we are in all our vintage finest, sipping wine like the sophisticates we are (well, at least trying to be).


To be honest, I think it was the first time I'd ever gone wine tasting! However, I considered it "research" for work, since it's my responsibility to order the wine for 2 of our offices. I also discovered I am quite a fan of Pinot Gris.
Grapes! Just about ready for the picking.

Smiling faces :)

Playing in the vines...

So in case you're wondering where I got my outfit from, I bought the culottes in Melbourne (these will be covered in a later post), and the tie and braces I totally stole off Luke. Such an awesome way to expand your wardrobe for free: just raid your husband's!

Oh by the way, these are the Craggy Ranges - in case you were wondering where the name of the wine came from. Very beautiful and craggy.

A little bit of a "farm girl" look going on, but I think I can pull it off.

Then into town to check out all the vintage cars, and vintage steam rollers too!

These three looked so cute, just sitting back enjoying the view, so I had to snap a photo.

Carolyn and her new wheels (well she wishes anyway)

If dreams are free, Luke and I will take this one please.

Some Art Deco buildings - love the colours and the details.



I honestly don't think I've seen so many parasols in my life. I'm pretty sure they would last about 2 seconds in the Wellington wind, but they looked very pretty in not-so-windy Napier.

This photo really cracks me up. Three ladies in white perched on their stools.

Everyone enjoying a bit of sun on the grass.
Luke and I with our second car (after all, we need one each, right?)

Love the Public Trust Office, and I honestly never thought I'd see a "Supre" shop in such a stylish building (the yellow one to the left - if you squint, you can just make out the sign).

Art Deco wall mural.

Me posing with Art Deco lady, damn I forgot to bring my matching dog.

Our Full Swing friends from our dance classes, lazing around before the group photo

Here is the group photo. Doesn't everyone look great? Such an attractive bunch.

Three beautifully dressed ladies from Full Swing. Some serious fashion inspiration here.

Luke and I snuck off at the end of the day for a quiet dinner before the dancing began. I think Luke really suits the vintage look, so handsome :)

Let the dancing begin! Love the movement in this photo.

Dancing in the street with the lovely Renee.

All the restaurants are full? Oh well, no problem - why not just have dinner in the street instead? Why not indeed.

Looking back at the Sound Shell from the beach.
So this photo deserves a little explanation. The story is that Carolyn and I were doing a bit of Charleston on the footpath to the music we could hear being played at the Sound Shell. At this point, a young Asian girl came up and asked if we could teach her. This very quickly developed into a impromptu dance class with 10 Malaysian tourists, doing the 20s and 40s Charleston. Again, why not? They were really lovely and it was such a nice way to end the evening.

So there you have it folks: day 2 out of 3. One more day of photos to show. 
Until next time! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment