Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Inspiration - The Vintage Kitchen

So Luke and I are looking at buying a house at the moment (scary I know!). Naturally, this has got me thinking a lot about how many pretty things you can put in a house. I find this prospect rather exciting. Although we've put a few special touches in the place that we currently rent (for example, hanging pictures and hats on every possible hook or nail etc), I've never owned a house and faced the challenge to "make this you." As with clothing, I feel that interior design and decor can be an expression of yourself.

Without even really thinking about it, I found myself looking up vintage-inspired kitchens. After all, we do spend quite a lot of time in this room. Yes, yes, I know - I'm getting ahead of myself - but it doesn't hurt to look, right?


Love! All the bright happy colours! How could you walk into this kitchen and not smile?


A little more sedate, but I really like the china on display and the red flowers growing over the sink. Also, just because it's vintage-inspired doesn't mean you can't have modern conveniences (aka dish-drawer).


Look at the old-fashioned sink - I mean look at it. The lime hue is just wonderful, and goes perfectly with the crisp white and wooden floorboards. I also love the little quirky touches, like the pears in bowls above the sink and the green kettle on the stove.


 If Barbie had a vintage kitchen, this would be hers. I'm not a huge fan of pink, and I think it'd be pretty hard to convince your husband that he wouldn't lose any masculinity points by cooking in this kitchen, but this is still very cute.


 Lime again. Wow, I really want a lime kitchen now, with wooden floorboards and white cupboards. The combination is so fresh.


This is actually the real deal right here. I love that it was called a "minimalist kitchen". I mean, look at that little table - what is that? It's like all set up for a TV dinner, minus the TV.  And the racks for chopping boards. Ideas that obviously came and went.


 I would never think to put red, mint green and aqua together, but it really works. I think the big bunch of yellow flowers ties everything in nicely, don't you? Hmmm... I'd say that my dream kitchen needs a chandelier.


Simple and cute. Love the blue painted shelf and the wooden benchtop.


 I adore the brightly-coloured containers on the left, and the bright red chairs.


 Okay, so I kind of have a thing for matching tins and containers - I think it's because I always loved the ones that my Gran has for sugar, cookies and flour. So this photo makes me very happy. So far, we own matching ones for tea, coffee, sugar, utensils and bread. Now I want one that says cake, and I also want it always to be magically full of cake. Too far? Okay...


Okay, now I really want a blue fridge, don't you? I mean, what's with all the boring white and steel, people, when you could have a blue fridge? Bring back the blue, I say, and other colours while you're at it.


What I love about this photo is that they've kept the cupboards the same. We have these cupboards in the kitchen of our rented flat, and it's quite encouraging that you don't necessarily have to take them out and start again. A little bit of paint and TLC can go a long way.


 Small and cute.


White with accents = always classy.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed looking over some pretty kitchens as much as I did, and that it inspired you a bit; it certainly inspired me. My conclusion is that vintage kitchens always have flowers. And it's the little touches that make the difference. 

Until next time :)




No comments:

Post a Comment