Monday 11 June 2012

The Review - Lars and the Real Girl

Okay, so I saw Lars and the Real Girl when it first came out in 2007, simply because I think Ryan Gosling is a pretty awesome actor. My friend Paige likes him too, so I dragged her along as well, although she's not  really "into" arthouse films.

Let me just say this first, before you get the wrong idea about this movie. I am extremely sensitive to things in movies. Too much swearing, violence, sexual scenes, or dirty jokes, and I'm out of there - and I will avoid the movie or TV show for the rest of my life. There's even a joke at my work that whenever the conversation takes a certain turn, I get this "tight-lipped" expression, and within 10 seconds I'm gone. 

Although the premise or even the blurb of this movie might sound kind of twisted/sick/strange, it is not. Trust me, it is not. It is one of the most sweetest, endearing, heartwarming films that you will ever watch. Even Luke, who is even more sensitive and conservative than I am, loved this movie. So if you make a snap judgement, you'll be the one missing out.


So the main character, Lars, is shy and a bit of a hermit. He lives in the garage next to his brother and sister-in-law, keeping very much to himself. Lars is sweet, quirky and completely socially inept, but obviously wants to be normal. So he orders a "Real Doll" and calls it his girlfriend. She is a missionary, and sleeps in the house with his brother and sister-in-law because he doesn't want people to get the wrong idea.

The story is about acceptance: Lars's family and the community accepting him and his "girlfriend" Bianca. It's a really lovely film, and was critically acclaimed for good reason. Ryan Gosling plays the part of Lars extremely well. I guess it's one of the reasons I admire him as an actor so much - he is highly versatile.

The other actors are also great, and despite the bizarre storyline, the film feels very much cemented in reality.






Okay, if this trailer makes you smile at least once, I think you should go out and hire it.


Until next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment