Saturday 7 July 2012

The Dress - The Princess Coat

I've been meaning to do this post for the longest time. Yes, it's official, I finally have my very own princess coat to love, to wear, to look stylish in, and to keep me very warm during these chilly winter months. 

Our apartment's light quality has made it kind of tricky to take good pictures. You need some daylight to get any decent photos, and since Luke and I both leave for work and arrive home when it's still dark, this has posed a slight challenge for taking outfit posts. Regardless of this, however, you can now admire the wonders of this coat.


Coat: Alf Weston
Okay, so here is the story, my friends. As many of you know, I had been looking online for a princess coat and had all but given up hope when my friend Carolyn told me that she worked with a gentleman who is a trained pattern marker, and that he might be interested in making me a coat. I went to her colleague Alf with a few pictures and pattern designs. From these pictures, we decided what we liked and what we didn't. He then took my measurements and made a calico mock-up. I bought the material, which is very soft 100% wool, and he made up the coat. Alf is a real master of the craft, which can be seen in the excellent design and solid construction of this coat. Have I mentioned that I love it? And it's so warm!


I have no idea how I survived last winter in a trenchcoat. I love how warm this coat is, and how it flows. I can see why they call them princess coats now; you really feel like a princess when you're wearing it.  


Alf has designed it so well to fit my curves, and it falls beautifully.

A bonus is that I can fasten the top button so that none of that nasty Wellington wind gets in.


 Back view. :)


Just in case you were wondering about the lining. It's polka dots! My mum chose this material, and I love it. Why have black when you can have polka dots!


Pockets! Gotta have 'em, gotta love 'em.


I'll write about the hat, gloves and bag next time. I just really wanted to focus on the coat in this boast - I mean post!

 Until next time :)


1 comment: