Monday 24 September 2012

The Song - Heartbroken

I like female singer song-writers. You’ve probably noticed. I hope you like them too. Today I’d like to introduce you to a real gem: Meaghan Smith. 

Raised in London, Meaghan seemed destined for music with a piano-teaching mother and bass-playing father. There is something very endearing about her songs, which are modern but obviously inspired by years gone by. Her music has been described as “wry and retro” (New York Times) and “as if Bjork recorded an album with k.d. lang and Doris Day” (National Post). Meaghan's first album The Cricket’s Orchestra was released in 2010, and since then she has also recorded a Christmas Album entitled IT SNOWED.

Meaghan Smith’s popularity went up in leaps and bounds after she contributed a cover of “Here Comes Your Man” by alternative rock group the Pixies to the soundtrack of the 2009 film 500 Days of Summer. This performance featured her playing the omnichord. And now I am sitting here wondering why I have never written a post on 500 Days of Summer. I love that movie!

In 2011, Meaghan won Best New Artist at the Juno Awards. So in summary, she’s pretty awesome and I think you’ll love her as much as I do. Personally, I have downloaded these tracks by her:  Heartbroken, I Know, If You Ask Me, A Little, Poor and Take Me Dancing.


Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment