Monday 18 March 2013

The Review - Dial M for Murder

So I'm not sure why, but the airline I took to Europe offered all the Alfred Hitchcock movies as part of their entertainment selection. I'd never actually watched any Alfred Hitchcocks before, more because I'd never really gotten around to it than for any other reason. However, I was kind of curious and had about 15 hours to kill, so I thought: why not? In hindsight, this probably wasn't the best idea, because suspense thrillers don't really help me fall asleep.

I watched To Catch a Thief, Dial M for Murder and North by Northwest (although admittedly I was so tired by this point that I did fall asleep during the last one, which Luke said was a real shame because it's his favourite).

The one that I enjoyed the most was Dial M for Murder, probably because it was the first one I watched, but also because I thought it was ingenious. Most of the movie is set in one room, but it's so intense that I actually found myself holding my breath.


The story essentially involves the so-called "perfect crime". I don't want to give too much away, as I think it's better if you go in knowing nothing like I did. I'll just say that it involves a husband and wife, an affair, a pair of scissors and a key. You'll have to watch it to find out how all these things fit in.

Grace Kelly is absolutely stunning in this film. So elegant. 

Fun Fact 1: It was filmed in just 36 days. It was also originally filmed and released in 3D in 1952. See, 3D technology isn't such a new thing.

Alfred Hitchcock had chosen a very expensive robe for Grace Kelly to wear when she answered the phone. The actress balked and said that no woman would put a robe on to answer the phone when she was sleeping alone, but rather would answer it in her slip. Hitchcock agreed to do it her way and liked the way the scene turned out. The director agreed to allow Kelly to make all costume decisions for herself in their subsequent films together. 

Fun Fact 3: Alfred Hitchcock arranged to have Grace Kelly dressed in bright colours at the start of the film and made them progressively darker as time went on.


As always, the trailer is below:


Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment